Desk of Contents[Hide][Show]
Having some Louisiana roots, Cajun Gumbalaya (additionally spelled gumbolaya) is a household favourite round right here. It combines the flavors of gumbo and jambalaya for an intensely flavorful recipe. As they are saying: “Laissez les bons temps rouler” (Let the nice instances roll!).
What Is Gumbalaya?
I’ve additionally all the time been considerably of a rule-breaker, so whereas gumbo and jambalaya are each wonderful dishes in their very own proper, I wished to discover a approach to mix them in a single pan. Voila, Gumbalaya!
Actually, there’s a place for the standard recipes, however that is my go-to quick model for busy nights. It has all the flavour however is far faster and simpler to make and doesn’t have a flour-based roux.
Quick & Simple Cajun Gumbayala
At any time when doable, I attempt to burn up no matter I’ve within the fridge or freezer. It helps me keep away from meals waste and it saves me cash. I are inclined to put this recipe close to the top of the week in my meal plan because it’s so versatile.
Some straightforward substitutions you may make that may nonetheless have that Cajun taste you crave:
- Bell peppers – Use inexperienced peppers or no matter shade you could have readily available. The yellow and oranges are sweeter however gained’t change the flavour.
- Cauliflower rice – Rice your cauliflower to maintain it keto or low-carb gumbalaya, or you should utilize white rice. I’ve even used quinoa or brown if I’ve some leftover I would like to make use of up however they do change the flavour a bit of.
- Kielbasa – You should utilize andouille sausage or smoked sausage relying on what you could have readily available.
- Pink beans – For further protein, individually strain prepare dinner some purple beans and add them for the final Quarter-hour to reheat. I are inclined to batch prepare dinner beans and freeze them in order that they’re straightforward to throw into this recipe.
- Celery – Because it’s one of many veggies that lasts a very long time within the fridge, I prefer to slice and use it up on this recipe.
- Rooster inventory – Though the diced tomatoes add some liquid, you may add a cup or two of broth or inventory so as to add a collagen enhance with out making it too soupy.
- Spices – I’m infamous for including in further garlic cloves… however you actually can’t go incorrect with this recipe. Typically I throw in a pinch of cayenne pepper, a few bay leaves or a splash of purple pepper flakes. In case you have creole seasoning, put a ½ teaspoon of it in. The probabilities are scrumptious.
- Crushed tomatoes – It gained’t drastically change the feel for those who swap diced tomatoes for crushed tomatoes.
Right here’s my un-traditional tackle this conventional New Orleans recipe.
Cajun Gumbolaya Recipe
A mix of gumbo and jambalaya, this recipe combines many Cajun flavors for a flavorful and filling dish!
In a big skillet, prepare dinner the diced hen and sliced sausage in coconut or olive oil till browned.
Take away from pan and put aside.
Whereas the meat is cooking, cube the bell peppers and onion and mince the garlic.
Sauté the diced bell peppers and onions within the skillet till comfortable, including the minced garlic within the final minute or two.
Season with the spices listed or as desired.
Whereas the bell peppers, onions, and garlic are cooking, put the cauliflower into the meals processor and pulse till it’s in small items like rice. You too can chop with a knife or hand or field grater, although this takes longer.
When the onion combine is completed softening, add the can of diced tomatoes and the okra.
Add the hen, sausage, shrimp, and cauliflower and simmer one other 10-Quarter-hour till the cauliflower is comfortable and shrimp is cooked. Alternatively, you may prepare dinner the cauliflower individually in some butter in one other skillet and serve the gumbo over it.
Serve scorching and revel in!
Be at liberty to regulate seasonings and spice ranges to your tastes.
Serving: 2cupsEnergy: 190kcalCarbohydrates: 13gProtein: 26.4gFats: 3.9gSaturated Fats: 1.1gLdl cholesterol: 152mgSodium: 875mgFiber: 4.3gSugar: 5.5g
What’s your favourite Cajun dish? Have you ever tried Cajun Gumbalaya but?